Pests like termites, ants, spiders, cockroaches, and so on can be a big nuisance. They not only spread infections but also damage your property when they get inside your house. Calling pest control services might be one of the best ways to tackle a pest infestation. However, before you book pest control services, you can try some of the tips and tricks given in this blog to keep your house clean and ward off pests.
Here are some of the best tips following which you can avoid bringing pests home:
- Regularly empty your garbage bin – Proper and regular garbage disposal is a key to a pest-free house. It is recommended that you dispose of your garbage every day. If you let it accumulate, it could result in cockroach, rodent, and rat infestation. It can get even worse if there are rotten food particles lying around in your house. This can cause diseases to spread, especially if you have infants, kids, or pets in your house.
- Don’t let water stand – Stagnant water is a breeding ground for pests like mosquitoes. Dirty stagnant water can lead to mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and malaria. So, be sure to clean the drains outside your house as well as the area around your house. Don’t allow any water to stand anywhere in or around your house. For instance, if your air-conditioner eliminates water, use a pipe that would carry the water outside rather than keep a vessel beneath it to collect the water. If you do keep a vessel, make sure to empty and clean it every single day. In addition to this, you should also keep your kitchen utensils and bathroom clean. Keep the utensils and buckets dry if you are not using them.
- Keep your kitchen clean – A dirty, damp atmosphere is an ideal home for pests. To avoid bringing pests home, clean your drawers, stove-tops, racks, and kitchen counters regularly with a disinfectant cleaner. Moreover, insects are attracted to food particles. So, make sure that you clean any food particles lying around your house.
- Keep your bathroom clean – It is important that you try to keep your bathroom clean and dry. Make sure that you unclog your drains and keep them covered. Keep the shower curtain dry to prevent the growth of moss. Wash the sink using a bathroom cleaner once every week. Clean the toilet pot with a toilet cleaner every single day.
- Don’t allow veggies and fruits to be outside for too long – Flies and insects are attracted to overripe fruits and veggies. Therefore, it is better not to keep cut and ripe fruits out in the open for too long. Apart from the harmless fruit flies, bigger pests like cockroaches, ants, and houseflies are also attracted to overripe, rotting fruits.
- Minimize plants and mulch – If there’s any shrubbery or branches that touch your house, make sure to trim them. Such branches can act as bridges, and pests can use them to enter your house. Similarly, if your garden has mulch, it could become an ideal shelter for pests. Therefore, you can place rocks or other less pest-attractive ground covers instead of using mulch.
- Look for gaps and cracks – Check the exterior of your house for gaps, crevices, or cracks. Even though they may seem small to you, pests can easily enter through even the smallest openings. Check for gaps around utility lines, such as cable wiring, electric wiring, and pipes, as well as missing roof shingles, loose siding, and foundation cracks.
- Seal doors and windows – Inspect and repair any broken windows and doors on a regular basis. Pests can easily wiggle into your house if there are tiny gaps or cracks in your door and window frames. So, you need to repair any such doors and windows that don’t fit well.
The above-mentioned tips can definitely help you avoid bringing pests home; however, you need professional help to completely eliminate pests. Pest control services at All Solutions Pest Control will help you eliminate all types of pests. Get in touch with us at 636-486-7888 or [email protected]